Join CelebrationsInternational Moon Day21 July 2023Apollo to ArtemisExhibition at CSEOvisit exhibitionJoin ourgrowing networkregister nowLaunching Cyprusinto the space eraread moreBe a benefactorBoost our goalsdonate to CSEOAstronomy CyprusIAU Cypriot Membersread more1850+ Members420,000+ Followers9 R&D European Grants30+ Cluster Members20+ R&D Projects8 Innovation Awards6 Startups & Spinoffs
Key Projects:Project IN-TIME Integrating instrumentation for the absolute dating of the sediments of MarsProject EYE Modelling econometric forecasting data from space with the support of AIProject C-SpaRC Integration and qualifications infrastructure for space assets
Our News, Activities and Announcements
Astronomy in Cyprus
The Cyprus Space Exploration Organisation has worked for many years towards promoting Astronomy in Cyprus. A highlight of these efforts was the accession of Cyprus to the International Astronomical Union (IAU), thus connecting Cypriot Astronomers with the global astronomical community. As part of Cyprus being part of the IAU, it has led to the nomination of young professional astronomers to the IAU. In 2019 four young astronomers joined the IAU as Junior Professional Members and now in Cyprus, Astronomy is a field that is growing in coordination with partners in research around the world.
The Cyprus Space Exploration Organisation (CSEO) is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation of public benefit. It promotes and advances space exploration and astronomy in Cyprus and around the world. It was founded in 2012, with the goal of “Launching Cyprus into the Space Era” and building the next generation of scientists, that would see Cyprus as a niche player in global space exploration initiatives, and would build an international collaboration with other space-faring nations in scientific, space and planetary missions. Today it has over 1000 registered researchers, scientists, educators and volunteers and over 400,000 followers on social media. CSEO has multiple spinoffs and subsidiary companies, and supports and promotes startups and technological innovation. CSEO’s companies, researchers and teams are skilled in Earth Observation, ICT, Robotics, Electronics, Computer Vision, Aerospace Engineering, Astrophysics, Planetary Sciences, Environmental and Climate Sciences, Energy, Mechanical, Structural, Materials, Optics, Medicine, Bioengineering, etc. CSEO is the official representative of Cyprus to:
- International Committee on Space Research (COSPAR),
- International Astronomical Union (IAU),
- International Astronautical Federation (IAF),
- Moon Village Association (MVA),
- Global Experts Group for Sustainable Lunar Activities (GEGSLA),
- Mars Upper Atmosphere Network (MUAN), as global host,
- Mars Society,
- NASA Space Apps Challenge,
- Mission X,
and many other international bodies. CSEO's International Council comprises some of the world’s most distinguished individuals that are highly decorated for their contribution to space exploration and astronomy. Mission and Vision Our mission and vision are to galvanise human potential into high-tech innovation and cooperation; to provide an alternative prosperous future, to engage young people into productive activities away from today’s difficult challenges, to create careers and educate scientists that will utilise high-tech innovation for protecting the environment and our blue planet. The universe and space exploration has always fascinated the human spirit and unites humanity under the same sky. Hence, we - the Cyprus Space Exploration Organisation (CSEO) - with our vision and goals as our compass have been highly active in forging international collaborations and igniting innovation and technological growth, with impressive and captivating results that are of public benefit. Basic Pillars We materialise our mission by focusing on four basic pillars:
(a) outreach and education, (b) research and development, (c) innovation and startups, (d) international cooperation. Grassroots To elevate science and technologies, and reach to the stars, we must start by focusing on grassroots. Our range of activities start from grassroots concentrating on outreach, advancing education, civil society, protecting the environment, and promoting sciences as an alternative activity for children that encourages a future in STEM. We bring together children from impoverished and war tarnished countries 'under one sky' and we build bridges of peace and friendship, bringing hope and creating a brighter future. All our other activities are a natural evolution of these grassroots activities.
Our TeamPresident George A Danos Vice President Constantinos Phanouriou Head of Innovation Colm LarkinChairman
About Us - Our goals for Cyprus
- Place Cyprus on the space industry map
- Conduct space exploration, astronautics and astronomy related R & D
- Promote innovation through the development and support of a local internal market for space
- Increase local technological competitiveness
- Leverage on local intellectual human capital
- Provide education and training for the future generation of space scientists and engineers, from an early age, in & out of schools
- Enhance and promote academic and industrial collaboration, through joint project participation
- Develop the high tech industry to become a prominent employment option on the island, hence stimulating graduate employment and reducing unemployment
- Develop a sustainable new industrial infrastructure for the island, leading to new diversified economic sources and product exports
- Promote the use of high tech materials in public works projects
About Us - Operation
- CSEO's board of directors, are from key sectors of the industry, who excel in their field and volunteered their time to CSEO for the common goals of the organisation.
- By engaging volunteerism from its members, CSEO builds on the strengths and enthusiasm of people to materialise the objectives of the organisation which drives the imagination and inspiration of all those involved.
- CSEO as a non-profit NGO actively seeks and applies for funding and sponsoring in order to fund the many projects which are part of the mission of the organisation. All activity proceeds re-fund CSEO's projects and goals.
- With a strong cooperation with all major universities from Cyprus and universities, organisations and institutions from abroad, CSEO acts as a local centre of planning, harbouring, incubation and accumulation of relevant ideas, that when properly formulated in a concerted effort can bring stronger research project proposals to communal funding and help the local researchers fair better in the international competition for research and funding in the field of space. As a pole of space exploration and discussion, CSEO has already attracted many academics which are currently contributing and involved in this on-going effort.
- Research and technological advancements that are stemming from the above on-going effort combined with the strong ties of CSEO in Europe and Globally with space, nanotechnology and robotics companies, will drive local development which in its turn can stimulate the private sector, the technological competiveness and diversification of the local industry, into fields that were unreachable in the past.
- The stimulation of the local industry will lead into production and export of new products and services, stimulating employment of graduates, employment in general, retention of intellectual human capital, competiveness, new patents and new technologies.
- CSEO is connected with foreign space agencies and organisations, with links with key individuals and heads of R&D and exploration of leading space faring nations. With the cooperation with other space faring nation and with the incorporation of Cyprus in ESA potential collaborative space missions will be planned and promoted with Cyprus becoming a niche player in the space race.
CSEO at the International Level
Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Εξερεύνησης Διαστήματος
Κύπρος, Διάστημα και Αστρονομία - Ο Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Εξερεύνησης Διαστήματος (CSEO) προωθεί την επιστημονική έρευνα και ανάπτυξη του τομέα της εξερεύνησης του διαστήματος, αστροφυσικής και αστρονομίας στην Κύπρο – γιατί πιστεύει στις δυνατότητες και ικανότητες των επιστημόνων μας. Ενισχύει και αναπτύσσει ενεργά τον τομέα του διαστήματος και αστρονομίας στον τόπο, οδηγώντας στην πρόοδο της βιομηχανίας υψηλής τεχνολογίας και τη συνεργασία με άλλα έθνη σε επιστημονικά προγράμματα και διαστημικές αποστολές.Back
Η εμπιστοσύνη και η ιδιαίτερη επιτυχία μας κερδήθηκε πάνω στις ορθές βάσεις που ιδρύθηκε ο οργανισμός, το πρωτοποριακό μας όραμα, τους στόχους του οργανισμού, τις δράσεις μας και τα ερευνητικά μας προγράμματα που είναι ήδη σε λειτουργία.
Το νομικό καθεστώς του οργανισμού είναι μη κερδοσκοπικό και το έργο και αποστολή του είναι προς δημόσιο όφελος. Ως εκ τούτου ο οργανισμός μας με το όραμα και στόχους του προωθεί την τεχνολογική ανάπτυξη, με εντυπωσιακά κοινωφελή αποτελέσματα, που τιμούν τον τόπο και που μας κάνουν υπερήφανους.
Πέραν των διεθνών βραβείων σε NASA και SpaceOps, ο Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Εξερεύνησης Διαστήματος είχε σειρά σημαντικών επιτυχιών.
- Ο πρώτος μας στόχος, να μπει η Κύπρος στον Ευρωπαϊκό Οργανισμό Διαστήματος (ESA), επιτεύχθηκε τον Ιούλιο του 2016.
- Τον Σεπτέμβριο 2016, ο CSEO γίνεται μέλος της Διεθνούς Αστροναυτικής Ομοσπονδίας.
- Τον Οκτώβριο 2016, εγκαινιάζεται το Διεθνές Συμβούλιο του CSEO, αποτελούμενο από διακεκριμένες παγκόσμιες προσωπικότητες του Διαστήματος – το γιορτάσαμε με τηλεδιάσκεψη του Αστροναύτη Νέσπολι σε κυπριακά σχολεία και πέραν των χιλίων μαθητών.
- Τον Νοέμβριο 2016, CSEO και TETRAKTYS-FILMS ανοίγουν επιτυχώς την Πρεμιέρα του Πρώτου Κυπριακού Διαστημικού Ντοκιμαντέρ για την νίκη της ArachnoBeeA στην NASA.
- Τον Δεκέμβριο 2016, ο CSEO κάνει την Κύπρο μέλος του Διεθνούς Οργανισμού Έρευνας Διαστήματος, ανοίγοντας σημαντικές ερευνητικές παγκόσμιες συνεργασίες. Επιπλέον, ο CSEO γίνεται ιδρυτικό μέλος του Δικτύου Ακαδημία-Κοπέρνικος, της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης, για την ανάπτυξη δορυφορικών εφαρμογών.
- Τον Αύγουστο 2018, ο CSEO κάνει την Κύπρο μέλος της Διεθνούς Αστρονομικής Ένωσης.
- Τον Οκτώβριο 2018, ιδρύεται και ανακοινώνεται η σύσταση της Κυπριακής Επιτροπής Έρευνας Διαστήματος και Αστρονομίας κατά την διάρκεια της Διεθνούς Συνόδου Κορυφής για το Διάστημα στην Λευκωσία, στην παρουσία του Επιστημονικού Διευθυντή της NASA.
- Τον Μάιο 2018, 4 νεαροί επαγγελματίες Κύπριοι αστρονόμοι προτίνονται από τον CSEO και γίνονται μέλη της Διεθνούς Αστρονομικής Ένωσης, προθώντας έτσι την αστρονομία στην Κύπρο.
Δημιουργούμε μ’όλα αυτά, δυνατότητες για ακόμη υψηλότερες επιτυχίες. Συμβάλλουμε στη μείωση φυγής των νέων μας στο εξωτερικό και να κάνουμε τη χώρα μας τεχνολογικά ανταγωνιστική, ενδυναμώνοντας οικονομικά τον τόπο μας.
Ways to join in
Business Registration: Join the Cyprus Space Cluster
If you are an aerospace company that wishes to join the Cyprus Space Cluster (founded Aug. 2014) to participate and/or collaborate in current and future space projects, you can register here:
Join the Cyprus Space Cluster
Member Registration: Researcher / Volunteer / Fan
If you are a researcher, academic, volunteer or fan and wish to become a CSEO Member, you can join here:
CSEO on Facebook
Come and visit our facebook page and follow what we do, join our activities, join our discussions:
CSEO on Facebook
CSEO on YouTube
Visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel and watch our videos and activities:
CSEO YouTube Channel
Support Us ...
Be a benefactor: Donate to CSEOYour financial support will go towards:
- School Education, creating the future generation of scientists
- Training our youth, bringing innovation to our young generation
- Employing scientists, reducing brain drain and utilising our skilled people
- University scholarships, giving academic opportunities to our talented youth
- Research & development, enhancing our technologies, stimulating our country's economy
- Cypriot space missions, utilising our technologies, bringing national pride
MissionX and CSEO Space ClubCSEO inspires and motivates students with Space and Astronomy activities
CSEO provides education and training for the future generation of space scientists and engineers, from an early age, in & out of schools:
- Communicates, via outreach, why space exploration is important for the betterment of our everyday lives and the widening of our understanding of the universe and where we come from.
- Educates children and promotes science and all things related to the Cosmos and space.
- Provides stimulating astronomy and space related educational material to schools.
- Promotes via scholarships the potential of talented youths.
- Promotes innovation by bringing competitions and hackathons to schools and students.
- Uses TV to showcase role-models of local space research.
- Produces documentaries that promotes local successes that stimulate our youth – such as "the Incredible story of ArachnoBeeA" that was premiered on 24th Nov 2016.
CSEO bring two exciting flagship activities to the students of Cyprus:
- Mission X
- CSEO Space Club
Our News, Activities and Announcements
CSEO Space ClubCSEO inspires and motivates students with Space and Astronomy activities
Be a benefactor - Donate to CSEO
Thank you for supporting CSEO!
On behalf of all the researchers and talented people of CSEO we warm-heartedly thank you!
This is the way to build up a brighter future for all of us!
With this donation you are supporting our educational courses, scholarships for young people, researchers and technologies and you are giving a chance to the younger generation for a better tomorrow!
Get in touch
Main telephone:+357 22 357 700
Address:CSEO Discovery Alpha,
Nicosia 1016, Cyprus
Email contact form:
Cyprus Space Exploration Organisation (CSEO) is dedicated to protecting the privacy of our users by taking all possible measures to protect their personally identifiable information. This privacy statement outlines these measures and discloses the privacy practices of CSEO.
This website takes every precaution to protect our user information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected online and offline.
Information Collection and Use
CSEO is the sole owner of the information collected on this site. CSEO will not release any personably identifying information unless you specifically authorize us to do so or unless required by the appropriate law enforcement officials.
If registration is offered on our website, now or at some stage, in order to use our online services, a user must first complete the sign-up form. During registration a user is required to give their contact information (such as name and email address). This information is used to contact the user about the services on our site for which they have expressed interest. Demographic information collected is used for our internal market analysis purposes.
A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user's computer containing information about the user. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any personally identifiable information while on our site. Once the user closes their browser, the cookie simply terminates. If a user rejects the cookie, they may still use our site. The only drawback to this is that the user will be limited in some areas of our site.
We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
Sharing Demographic Information
We will share aggregated demographic information with our partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
We send all new Members a welcoming email to verify password and email address. Established Members may occasionally receive information on products, services, special deals, and a newsletter via email or letter mail as part of our customer communications. In addition, we may also send the user site and service announcement updates. Members who do not wish to receive any customer communication can inform us and they will be excluded from any future communication.
Correction/Updating Personal Information
If a user's personally identifiable information changes (such as address information), it may be updated at the Member section page or by emailing our Customer Support Team.
Notification of Changes